Will Remapping Also Known as Chip Tuning Damage my Engine
A Common Question We Are Asked, Will The Remap Damage My Car?
The answer is a simple YES if the remap is NOT carried out by a competent team of tuners and technicians, who operate within the manufacturer's original engineering tolerances.
However, if you are using a professional, established company they will be keeping all performance enhancements within the known mechanical tolerances for that particular vehicle.
When you are selecting a tuner for your vehicle make sure you research them well and don't just opt for the best-sounding advert you see on the internet.
ECU Remapping - What Is It?
Remapping is when you reprogram the software contained within your vehicle’s ECU (engine control unit). Every modern vehicle manufactured is fitted with an ECU that controls the drive and feel of your vehicle. These determine your MPG, top speed, acceleration, and how the car feels as you drive it.
Most of the standard software that is installed by the manufacturer, will dumb down your engine's real capabilities and ability to perform.
This is usually done for several reasons such as, to meet emission and noise regulations set in place by various environmental agencies.
The engine power is also restricted by these software programs to enable manufacturers to offer a range of power variants using the exact same engine, only controlled by different software configurations.
Now, when you have a remap carried out on your vehicle, the software contained within these ECUs is simply reprogrammed, within mechanical safety limits.
This process is often referred to as “Chipping” or “Remapping”.but you will also see a variety of other terms used including Remaps.
The process for you to have your vehicle remapped is straightforward, as most of the base development work has been carried out using data logging to establish optimal performance and fuel efficiency balance.
No physical parts are removed or added, although, in some vehicles, the technicians will need to remove the vehicle’s ECU to remap it via a direct connection.
How Does Remapping Affect My Car This is the main point that everyone looking to have their engine tuned wants to know.
What am I getting? There are a few options to choose from when it comes to selecting which level of remap you would like for your vehicle. However, one thing remains the same. . .
The drive of your car will completely change.
Now, how much it changes and what exactly will change depends on the specific tuning options that you decide to go for. But here is what you can typically expect:
- Improved Throttle Response - The drive of your vehicle will change from the moment you put your foot on the accelerator for the first time. It will feel more lively, more awake, and ready for action
- Improved Torque - An increase in your engine’s torque. Torque is what throws you back into your seat and puts a smile on your face as you put your foot down.
- Improved MPG - Your wallet will enjoy a good engine tune as much as you as the driver will. An increase in torque will often equate in more economical fuel consumption, for this reason, a lot of taxi and delivery drivers will have their vehicles remapped to cut down on fuel costs.
- Better Drive - A remap will often leave your vehicle feeling like it has had its handbrake released.
- As the driver, you will notice that your vehicle is a lot livelier and more enjoyable to drive.
Will Remapping Damage My Engine?
For those of you who are like us, you do not want to fit or install anything that will end up damaging your vehicle. That is why we always recommend investing in a remap provided by a professional remapping company with an established reputation.
When it comes to having your engine remapped, there are a few important things to keep in mind.
It's important, NO Crucial "make sure that you are using a professional, reputable company to tune your engine, this gives you the peace of mind of knowing it will not negatively impact your engine".
A good way to find a reputable company is to look at their reviews on Google, see what their customers are saying about their work
Sure, there will always be someone that uses data files of unknown origin or content and cloned unlicensed tools that they bought on eBay who can claim to do the work cheaper. But is it cheaper if it ruins the engine?
If you are like us, then you want the job done properly the first time and the peace of mind that comes from knowing that professionals have tuned your engine using industry-leading licensed tools and software.
Is Remapping for Performance Cars Only?
If you would like to increase the MPG on your delivery van, taxi, or family SUV, then this is a great way to achieve your goal without changing vehicles.
Remapping can make it easier for people who tow caravans to do so whilst using less fuel.
Whilst remapping is a great way to increase the performance of your vehicle, it is not the only reason people do it. This works great especially if your engine has either a turbocharger or a supercharger.
Should I Remap My Vehicle?
The choice is yours, but here are a few reasons why we think nearly everyone can benefit:
- Rekindle the love for your car - An engine tune can give you the enjoyment of driving something brand new, without having to splash out on a new car.
- Improved Driver experience - We have found that everything from the driver of the vehicle to the fuel tank will enjoy being finely tuned. You get both the benefits of having an improved performance alongside better fuel consumption . . . What is not to love?
- Nothing is permanent - If you are looking to sell your car or want it restored back to its default settings then that is not a problem. Maybe you have opted for an economical map and would like to swap to a performance map, that is ok too.
- Inexpensive - For the benefits you receive from having your engine tuned, it really is inexpensive. It puts a smile back on your face every time you get in and drive.
The choice is yours, either way, we hope that you have now got a better understanding of what an engine remap is, what it consists of and how to go about getting your engine tuned.
If you wanted to know more or book your vehicle in with our team of qualified professionals, then please feel free to get in touch.
Get in touch today, we are happy to help with Vehicle Remapping Chip Tuning and Ecu Remaps